As it turns out, that project died a quiet death, and I got bored documenting something that I no longer had a reason to be tinkering with. After that... I stopped writing here.
And then a bunch of stuff happened. Without going into a ton of detail, I discovered that I was the only person generating revenue for the company that I worked for. When your business is Engineering Contract Services, that's not a good sign. So I started looking.And I ended up at a fantastic company - Digium - working on the open source project Asterisk.
You know how you sometimes think of the way things should be in software development? The people you'd like to work with, the things you'd like to be working on, the environment you'd like to be in? I found myself there. Its pretty fantastic.
I did go from working primarily in Microsoft venues - often in the .NET ecosystem (although the last contract I was on was C++ on a RedHawk Linux OS) - to working on Linux systems in C. But its been an absolute blast.
(And to scratch that OO itch, there's always the Asterisk Test Suite for some Python goodness.)
So, a few small goals of mine:
- Write something now and again. I'm shooting for 1 post a week. That may be a bit ambitious however, but we'll see.
- Write about Asterisk development. There's some great stuff coming down the pipeline in Asterisk 11.
- Learn Italian.
Damn it, I read all your posts on creating a dynamic menu... then find there's no finished solution!!
ReplyDeleteOh well, I still learnt a few things along the way!
@pfeds: Yeah, I echo your sadness about that unfinished work. Guess we'll be rolling one internally.
ReplyDelete